Protein shakes prepared at home can be an alternative to expensive sports nutrition.
Protein shakes are usually made on the basis of protein powders, which have to be diluted according to instructions in specific proportions. The shakes can be completely tasteless as a supplement to your daily diet or have a pleasant taste due to the different flavoring ingredients in their composition.
The advantage of protein shakes is that they are always at your fingertips, you can take them with you on the road and work. However, there are also a lot of recipes that can be used to make a delicious shake and treat yourself.
Various protein shake recipes
#1. Protein shake for weight loss
- 4 slices of pineapple;
- a quarter of a peeled grapefruit;
- 250 ml of skimmed buttermilk, yogurt, or milk;
- 30 ml of coconut oil;
- 30 grams of pumpkin seeds;
- 1 scoop of protein powder.
Mix all ingredients in a blender. The shake contains fat-burning ingredients which give you energy, boost your metabolism and satisfy your hunger.
#2. Protein shake with banana and spinach
- ¹⁄₂ a large banana, cut up and frozen;
- 150 grams of unsweetened nonfat Greek yogurt;
- 225 grams of spinach;
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract.
Just whisk all the ingredients together in a blender for a delicious protein drink.
#3. Chocolate protein shake
- 150 grams of Greek yogurt;
- 10 raw almond nuts;
- 1¹⁄₂ tablespoon of cocoa powder;
- ¹⁄₂ teaspoonful of cinnamon;
- 1 banana, cut into circles and frozen;
- 150 grams of milk;
- 1 teaspoon syrup as desired.
Mix the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
#4. Protein shake with oats and berries
Mix the following ingredients in a blender:
- 45 grams of oat flakes;
- 230 grams of milk;
- 80 grams of frozen berries (cherry, blueberry, or other);
- 3 tablespoons of honey;
- 100 grams of Greek yogurt;
- some ice.
#5. A shake to take before you go to bed
- 300 ml of milk;
- 1 tablespoon of egg white;
- 1 tablespoon of casein;
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder.
Mix everything in a shaker or blender until smoothie.
#6. Protein shake with nuts and seeds
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds;
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds;
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed;
- 1 sliced banana;
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract;
- 8 almonds;
- 245 grams of milk (can be changed to almond milk);
- ⅛ teaspoonful of turmeric;
- 1 teaspoon of honey;
- 3 ice cubes.
Soak the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds in water overnight. Put the banana in the freezer.
In the morning, drain the water and chop the seeds in a blender. Add the frozen banana, vanilla, turmeric, honey, milk, almonds and ice and blend to a smooth consistency.
#7. Protein smoothie with pumpkin, casein and cinnamon
- 2 scoops of vanilla casein;
- 100 grams of peeled raw pumpkin;
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon;
- 400 ml of water.
Mix the ingredients in a blender for 45-60 seconds.
When it is best to take protein shakes?
The timing of your protein shake also depends on what your goal is.
If you want to lose weight low-calorie protein shakes can be taken instead of 1-2 meals, continuing to eat your main meal 3 times a day, but with significantly smaller portions. Then, low-calorie protein shakes will speed up your metabolism and satisfy your hunger. It’s also convenient to take a shaker with your drink prepared in the morning and drink it during the day.
If you want to make your workout more effective and build muscle, take a protein shake with fast-release protein 30-60 minutes before your workout. Do not choose shakes based on protein only, but add carbohydrates instead. A shortage of these nutrients may increase the risk of muscle tissue damage.
For fast recovery, you should take the shakes immediately after your workout and also before going to bed. However, be careful. If you drink protein before bedtime, make sure it is based on casein, a slow-release protein. Then at night, while the growth hormone is active, you’ll create the ideal anabolic environment and your muscles will grow while you sleep.
If you want to take a shake immediately after training, choose a shake containing carbohydrates, as your muscles need amino acids as well as glycogen at this time.